Prepare For The Unexpected
“This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.”
(II Timothy 3: 1)
Anyone who has been a Christian who believes and lives by the scriptures written in God’s Holy Bible can attest to the fact that we have been hearing about the “last days” for quite a long time. I know I have been hearing it preached about and taught since I was a child. Oftentimes when we hear something prophesied or referenced for years and years, we tend to lose focus if not question its validity. Recent events that have occurred across the world behoove all of us to recognize that we truly are in the last days. The question then arises “what can we do about it?” Yes, the word of God tells us that no one knows the day nor the hour when the Lord will return, and that alone should prompt us to strive to always be in a state of preparedness.
We can no longer attempt to live our lives in what we create as a false sense of security. The recent terrorist murders in Paris, the recent apparent bombing of a Russian jet liner, the mass murders of innocent young college students in Kenya. We are now forced to live in a society that even places we once frequented for pleasure and entertainment, i.e. movie theaters, concerts, sporting events, are now heavily staffed with law enforcement agents and security metal detectors. Even travel that was once an enjoyable experience on planes and trains has become a hassle just to be able to maintain everyone’s safety.
How can we prepare ourselves for the unexpected? We must first believe that our Father is with us! If we don’t leave Him, He has promised He will never leave us! Those who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as their personal Savior, and are daily striving to live according to the mandates of God’s holy word have His assurance that He is with us now, and even into life eternal. God would never want us to live in a state of fear and hopelessness. However, He does want us to be fully aware of the signs of the times and what we must do as the conditions in the world around us are constantly declining.
• Pray without ceasing – not just for yourself but for those affected by what is going on around the world.
• Endeavor to be knowledgeable about what is going on in the world, i.e. politics (politicians), laws, legislations, current events / issues on local, national, international levels, religious organizations and denominations
• Urge your family, loved ones, and all whom you come in contact with to work out their own salvation – never give up on them no matter how resistant they may appear – Be a strong witness for God and His saving power!
• Make sure you are connected and committed to a ministry where you are receiving consistent sound biblical teaching and preaching
• Ask God to raise your level of sensitivity to the needs and concerns of others — persons outside of your immediate family and inner circle
• Look introspectively on a constant basis and ask God to search your mind and your heart. Sincerely ask Him to remove anything that is displeasing to Him.
• Remain thankful to God at ALL times for everything, things great and small.
It is apparent that many things are beyond our control, however we can control the direction of our lives to ensure that whatever happens our lives and our future are safely in the arms of God.